Blackberry and coconut doesn’t sound like a classic combination, yet it works marvellously. Coconut oil is mild in flavour and you get a moist and light texture that you can’t quite get with butter, whilst blackberries bring soft pockets full of flavour. When you replace butter for coconut oil, you need roughly around 20% less oil than butter, and you should add a dash more liquid to the mix, but in this recipe, blackberries have quite a bit of moisture, so they provide the extra liquid required. Happy baking!
100g coconut oil
150g unrefined sugar
150g gluten-free flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 large organic eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 450g/17cm loaf baking tin and line the base with baking parchment. Beat the coconut oil and sugar until creamy.
2. Add the eggs and mix well.
3. Combine the flour and baking powder, then fold into the butter until well combined.
4. Fold in the blackberries taking care not to crush them.
5. Bake for 30-40 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.