I love lemon drizzle and anything citrusy in cakes, but I also love buttercream; wait, who doesn’t? On a rainy morning (we get plenty of those), I felt brave enough to experiment with lemon curd and cupcakes. I find it that lemon cupcakes are never lemony enough, unless they are drizzled in which case buttercream doesn’t stick to them. So, I decided to add some lemon zest to the mix, make a small hole and fill them with lemon curd. Then, I added some more lemon curd to the buttercream and it just ended up fluffy and with the most amazing tangy taste. The granny loved them and she was ever so excited to find a ‘mine’ of lemon curd after the first bite. The boy loved them too, despite the fact he isn’t normally up for new things… he is a routine creature. Fool proof, they last for a couple of days and will give you the courage to carry on experimenting with jams/spreads and buttercream!
110g butter, room temperature
50g caster sugar
50g soft brown sugar
2 free-range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g self-raising flour
lemon zest from 1 lemon
For the cupcake filling
3 tbsp good quality lemon curd, like this one.
Lemon curd icing
100g butter, room temperature
200g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp lemon curd
1. Preheat the oven to 175C and line a muffin tin with 9 paper cases.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time .
3. Fold in the flour and spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are 2/3 full.
4. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
Lemon curd icing
1. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
2. Add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the lemon curd, and keep beating until the mixture is creamy and fluffy. Try it, if you want it more lemony, add more lemon curd.
3. Decorate the cupcakes with the lemon curd buttercream. Either add a dollop of icing to each cupcake and spread with a palette knife, or use an icing piping bag.